HOMEFAQ/JOINBLOGGALLERYSTOREDESIGNERSPAST KITS

It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gel Medium Resist
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

Gel medium can be used as a resist and adds some lovely transparency to your work.

Supplies:
Gel Medium (Medium to Heavy)
Stamp and ink (water resistant ink)
Stencil
Three color mists. I have used: (1) Smoky Sapphire (lightest color and the mist we received in our September kit made by Lindy’s Stamp Gang-Moon Shadow Mist collection); (2) Violaceous Violet from Lindy’s Stamp Gang-Moon Shadow Mist collection; and (3) Pomegranate from Glimmer Mist). Both 1 and 2 are shades of brown, and 1 is the lightest of the two colors. Note: the lighter the mists, the more transparency you’ll get from the gel medium resist technique.
Watercolor Pencil (I have used Derwent’s Copper Beech)
Masking tape
Crackle Accents (not necessary, but I added just a little bit of it in the end)

1. After stamping an image, tape your stencil to your paper. Sporadically apply a generous portion gel medium over your stencil (you don’t want it too thin), do not fill in all areas of your stencil--leave some empty. Carefully pull off your stencil and clean it up for the second step. Set aside to dry.

2. Place your cleaned and dry stencil back over your pattern lining it up precisely. Tape the stencil in place over your paper. With your lightest color mist, add your second color mist, do not fill the whole stencil with mist, and leave some areas alone. Carefully lift off the stencil, rub over the gel medium areas with a baby wipe towel, or paper towel to remove some of the mist. Set your work aside to dry. You will not need your stencil in step 3 below.

3. Finish off your work with your third color mist and add the other colors mists, if desired. Again, carefully go over the gel medium areas with a baby wipe or paper towel to remove the mist. Set aside to dry.

4. Using a watercolor pencil, lightly color around the patterns to add dimension. You can see where I did this around some of the brick patterns.

5. This part isn’t really necessary, but if you want to add even more dimension, add a little bit of Crackle Accents (the thicker the application, the better result you will achieve), set aside to dry. After it has dried, rub in a mixture of brown acrylic paint with some gel medium. Don’t try to rub in the brown paint alone . The gel thins out the acrylic paint and makes it a glaze like substance so that there is some transparency. If it accidently gets onto other areas of your work, then you can rub it off. I also added a few glossy accents because I just couldn’t stop putting stuff on the sample. 

Of course, I couldn’t leave this sample unadorned, and added some embellishment to finish it off. There are little bits of dry wall tape on there too.

Post subject: Re: Gel Medium Resist
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:03 am 

OMG someone we know has been having a play ... looks absolutely stunning and what gorgeous colours ... I love this Joyce ... it's fantabulous ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 am 

I love what you did! Great tutorial TFS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 am 

You make really amazing tutorials, Joyce- this is awesome!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 am 

What a beautiful effect! Thanks Joyce. :D

My Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 am 

Looks fabulous, Joyce! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 am 

That is really rich with color and texture- gorgeous! I promise to try it in my art journal!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

Ahhhhhhhh, now I have wondered for so long what I'd use that bottle with the powder in. And what you showed here was very beautiful <3
But I have to ask to get it right. I fill water into a water brush, dip the brush into the powder and then brush on the paper?

And one more thing ... :oops:
If I increase the stroke between the bricks, how do I do it? Have tried with gesso, but that does not make it higher. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:49 pm 

Joyce THANKS so much for the tutorial!!! It is great!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm 

Hege wrote:
Ahhhhhhhh, now I have wondered for so long what I'd use that bottle with the powder in. And what you showed here was very beautiful <3
But I have to ask to get it right. I fill water into a water brush, dip the brush into the powder and then brush on the paper?

And one more thing ... :oops:
If I increase the stroke between the bricks, how do I do it? Have tried with gesso, but that does not make it higher. :roll:

In this case, you will not need a "water brush", you will need a "watercolor pencil". With the watercolor pencil, you simply apply it like you use a pencil but apply lightly under various individual bricks (you do not have to moisten the watercolor pencil, but you can if you wish). However, if you were referring to the Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist, you are correct in that you will need to fill that bottle up with water according to the instructions to be able to use it as a mist. Did I answer your question correctly?